Roulette can be an extremely fun game to play, particularly if you prefer a more upbeat and social experience at Tonkawa Casino rather than sitting and waiting patiently at a slot machine, for instance. However, there are few games that can seem more intimidating to a beginner than approaching a roulette table.
Roulette might look scary, but it’s actually surprisingly simple to play once you have a good basic grasp of what exactly is happening. In order to have fun (and hopefully win) at roulette, you need to understand the basics of how to play, how to bet, and the rules and regulations.
Basic Guide To Understanding Roulette
Most people are familiar with what a roulette table looks like. A standard game of roulette will consist of a spinning wheel, a betting table, a ball that is spun by a croupier, and then a bunch of wager options available to the players. The wheel is made up of a series of pockets that each have numbers and either red or black coloring.
Essentially, you place your wager by placing your chips on the roulette table before the croupier spins the wheel with the ball moving in the opposite direction. From there, it’s pretty simple, the ball will slow down and land in a certain pocket, and if your wager matches the pocket where the ball ends up, well, you’ve won!
You can place bets on either single numbers, groupings of numbers, the colors red or black, odd or even numbers, and high or low numbers. In order to understand the types of bets you can place it’s a good idea to take a look at a roulette table, this will give you a familiarity with the layout.
Understanding the Casino House Edge
Before getting into the different types of bets you can place, you need to understand a little bit about the Casino House Edge. To put it in very simple terms, the house edge is the casino’s way of making money. It’s the casino’s method of setting money aside for itself while giving any winnings to the players, and different games will usually have different house edges. So, when you bet on a game and win, the casino will take a small percentage of that money for itself and then pay the rest back to you, the player, in winnings.
How To Bet In Roulette
Because there is a variety of different types of bets you can make in roulette, there are various ways that you can look at the roulette table. Inside bets do have a higher house edge, but they’re also the most rewarding if you win! The following types of bets are known as inside bets:
- Straight Bet – This is the riskiest type of bet, but if you win, it pays out the most. This is where you bet on a single number by placing your chips on that number inside the table. Straight bets payout 35:1
- Split Bet – This type of bet pays out 17:1 and is where you bet on two different numbers. Here, you place your chips on the line in between two numbers.
- Street Bet – Are you seeing a pattern yet? A street bet is betting on three numbers. Chips are placed on the line that separates the inside and the outside of the table and street bets payout 11:1.
- Corner Bet – This is where, you guessed it, you bet on four different numbers. Do so by placing your chips on the intersection of those four numbers. The payout? 8:1.
If you want to place a less risky bet and don’t want to pay out a big house edge on your winnings, then your best option is to place outside bets. Sticking to the outside is a prime strategy for beginners; the bets are less intimidating, there’s a higher likelihood of winning, and you can familiarize yourself with the table and the process before moving on to placing inside bets. The following are the different types of outside bets:
- For a small payout of 1:1 is the infamous red or black bet. It’s exactly what it sounds like, you’re simply betting whether the ball will land in a red or black pocket.
- Another bet that pays out 1:1 is betting on an odd or even number.
- And, once again, for a payout of 1:1, there’s the field bet, where you’re betting on a range of numbers (either 1-18 or 19-36).
- Column Bet – these bets pay off a little better (2:1) and are placed in sections that are marked at the end of the three number columns on the betting table.
Roulette Betting Strategies
The Martingale System
The Martingale System is frequently utilized in roulette and is a great way to manage your money. It might not win you millions, but you can walk away with some winnings and it’s a good way to guarantee you don’t get too caught up in the excitement and go broke!
To use the martingale system, start off by placing a small money bet (the table minimum is ideal here), and keep betting that same amount until you lose. Once you lose, double your bet. By doing this you can get back some of the money you lost plus a little extra. Each time you lose, continue to double your bet, and when you win, continue to keep your bet the same.
The D’Alembert System
The basics of this system are very simple to understand, which is why it’s so popular. When you lose, you raise. When you win, you lower. This type of betting system works on negative progression, which is based on the theory that there is a small probability of a player losing a large number of bets all in a row.
The Fibonacci System
This system is a bit more complex but is widely regarded as a fairly safe strategy for betting. Just as the name suggests, it’s based on the popular Fibonacci sequence, where the next number you get in a sequence equals the sum of the previous two. In roulette, start at whatever bet you like (although it’s better to start low) and then simply follow the sequence with your betting.
Roulette can be a very fun game to play, and one that can win you some serious money if you learn how it works and get lucky! It might seem intimidating, but by familiarizing yourself with the rules and watching others play in order to understand strategies, you can quickly learn to play one of the most popular Tonkawa Casino games of all time!